Monday, March 31, 2014

Visions

I had a fairly odd experience today. I was at the library, not doing much, when a black gentleman sat down next to me. He was tall, thin, with long dreadlocks and a small pointy beard. He looked at me as though considering something important, before speaking:
"You've had visions, haven't you?"
I told him I didn't quite now what he meant. He explained he meant exceptionally vivid dreams, that I had been having since I was a child, that proceeded to come true in some form or another. He described them as "downloads from God". That God was trying to tell me something. "You may not take them seriously, or other people may tell you that they're only dreams, but don't listen that. They are gifts." He spoke of sometimes the most vivid of daydreams are the closest thing to prophecies, that they give us keys to unlocking the future. He told to write down my dreams, as soon as they happened, describing them as "invisible ink - they fade over time." As he got up to leave, he turned to look at me and said, "You're gonna change the world. To make it a better place. Don't forget to write down your dreams." And he was gone.


Needless to say, this whole exchange left me a bit perplexed. The gentleman had seemed so intense in what he was saying, like he had to say it. It was a little eerie how he close to the truth he was about the vividness of my dreams, and other people's reactions when I described them. And in truth, I have always believed in the power of dreams, whether it be as inspiration for my art and writings, or, (for lack of a less dramatic word) predictions. A surprising number of my dreams have come true, but not in the typical sense. I have always felt that if a dream is a predication, it's going to be more symbolic than literal, as it has been with my dreams.


Now, I'd like to add something: I am in truth very skeptical of most things that could be considered "New Age" in tone. Very rarely have I seen evidence of there being anything other than the world right in front of us. But over the past year, I have grown less and less certain of that, the incident today just being another example of my growing uncertainty. Too many lucky breaks have come my way, one after another. A friend of mine at work keeps telling me that everything happens for a reason, and in my less cynical moments, I wonder if she's right. Anyway, I just to share this with you, Specters. Share your thoughts in the comment section, if you like.

3 comments:

  1. More or less agree. I grew up atheist, but as time goes on the influence of these spirits, loa, gods, angels, devils, what have you, becomes more and more apparent.

    Now, what ARE they? They are mysteries, that's what they are.

    This seems like a most auspicious occasion. The question is, which loa are you friendly with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done a ton of research into vodou, but I think Baron Samedi would hit it off.

      Delete